Welcome to InsomniacGamerZ.net Subscribe to our Vimeo channel! Follow us on Google+! Follow IGZ on Twitter! Like the IGZ page on Facebook! Subscribe to IGZ's Youtube Channel!Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders

InsomniacGamerZ.net

GFX Tutorials Tutorials on how to make designs or other stuff.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Borderlands font Tutorial
Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
JBackpack

Gamertag: Yo Budman
Member No.: 1069
Thanks Received: 527

Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!
Awards Showcase
Happy Anniversary! Stuck! Basic Training Hot Topic Insomniac Uploader Artistic Well Connected 
Total Awards: 8
Borderlands font Tutorial

So today, I was asked by someone to make them a borderlands signature. I knew it would be pretty hard to do since there are absolutely NO tutorials on how to make the borderlands font in photoshop. I did alot of research to find a good font that is similar to the borderlands font, and I had to search through pages of textures to find a good texture for the font. I thought I'd make it easier on everybody else who is interested in making a borderlands font, by making a quick tutorial.

1.) Open Photoshop and create a new file.
The size is your choice, but I went with 500 x 120px.

2.) Download and install the compacta-icg-bold font file that I attached.

3.) Click on the text tool and create a new text layer with the font Compacta ICG, and type whatever you want in whatever size you want. I typed "BORDERLANDS". Make the font yellow. I used #fff600 for the color of the font, and 105px for the size.

4.) Right click on the BORDERLANDS text layer in the layers palette, and click on blending options.

5.) Use these settings for the drop shadow of the BORDERLANDS text layer:

Use these settings for the stroke (outline) of the BORDERLANDS text layer:

6.) Now, create a new layer and place it above the text layer. Then copy this texture and paste it into your new layer.

7.) Resize (ctrl + T) the texture so that it fits on your canvas.

8.) Next, select the text layer in the layers palette, click on the magic wand tool and select the yellow of each letter by clicking in the yellow, and holding shift for each additional letter you want to select.

9.) With the yellow of the text still selected, click on the texture layer, and then invert your selection (CTL + SHIFT + I).

10.) Now DEL the area that is selected so that it looks like this:

11.) Next, deselect the area you have selected, and then invert the colors of the texture layer. (CTL + I) or (Image > Adjustments > Invert)

12.) Set the blending mode of the texture layer to Darken and set the opacity to 65%.

Don't forget to hit the thanks button if this helped you. I took a lot of time out of my night to make this tutorial, so the least you could do is click a button for me :]
Attached Files
File Type: zip compacta-icg-bold.zip (19.7 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by Jbudman; 01-26-2010 at 08:22 PM..
Jbudman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jbudman For This Useful Post:
Djrapapolvo (09-15-2010), IGZ Death (03-12-2010), Pity Sex (03-12-2010), spooky_nine (08-08-2012)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
VIP+

Gamertag: Minus the Beers
Member No.: 155
Thanks Received: 456

Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!Pity Sex is being paid to be this good!
Awards Showcase
Retired Thanks! Good Citizen Artistic Well Connected Hot Topic Law Enforcer Basic Training Insomniac Anti-Spam Stuck! 
Total Awards: 11
Send a message via Skype™ to Pity Sex

Something doesn't seem right, but here's my result. I ended up lowering it to 42% opacity cause 65% looked too dark.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
JBackpack

Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!Jbudman is being paid to be this good!
Awards Showcase
Happy Anniversary! Stuck! Basic Training Hot Topic Insomniac Uploader Artistic Well Connected 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeNeSiS View Post

Something doesn't seem right, but here's my result. I ended up lowering it to 42% opacity cause 65% looked too dark.
Hmm, the only thing I could think of is maybe the stroke is just a little too big on yours but I'm not sure. This is the first photoshop tutorial I have ever done, so chances are I did a few things wrong. Normally I used tutorials to learn everything on photoshop, but there was no good tut on google at the time so I had to figure it out for myself.

Nice sig btw!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

Gamertag: AnalMuch69
Member No.: 1224
Thanks Received: 82

IGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to all
Awards Showcase
Insomniac Hard Wired Basic Training Well Connected Basic Training Hot Topic Stuck! 
Total Awards: 7
I got this @ 50% opacity

Quote:
An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.
IGZ Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
JBackpack

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinedeath View Post
I got this @ 50% opacity

Nice nice.
Let me know if anyone finds out how to improve it at all.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

Gamertag: AnalMuch69
Member No.: 1224
Thanks Received: 82

IGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to allIGZ Death is a name known to all
Awards Showcase
Insomniac Hard Wired Basic Training Well Connected Basic Training Hot Topic Stuck! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbudman92 View Post
Nice nice.
Let me know if anyone finds out how to improve it at all.
Well one thing is that to make it better it needs a lighter shade of yellow with a little darker lines.

Edit: I dont know if this makes it any different but let me know if it's any change. To me it's a little brighter.

Quote:
An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind.

Last edited by IGZ Death; 03-13-2010 at 12:00 AM..
IGZ Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
U mad bro?

Gamertag: Twistacular
Member No.: 4332
Thanks Received: 63

Jayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of light
Awards Showcase
Happy Anniversary! Anti-Spam Basic Training Hot Topic Artistic Well Connected Insomniac 
Send a message via AIM to Jayzee
I can't get the text to stay and get rid of the white background. How can I do that? I would show my result, but I can't delete the white background and now it's pissing me off. :cursing:

Last edited by Jayzee; 04-19-2010 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Automerged Double Post
Jayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
JBackpack

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee1027 View Post
I can't get the text to stay and get rid of the white background. How can I do that? I would show my result, but I can't delete the white background and now it's pissing me off. :cursing:
Have you deleted the background layer?
Also, when you save do "Save for web and devices" and save it as png-24 so that it keeps it's transparent properties.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jbudman For This Useful Post:
Jayzee (04-20-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
U mad bro?

Gamertag: Twistacular
Member No.: 4332
Thanks Received: 63

Jayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of lightJayzee is a glorious beacon of light
Awards Showcase
Happy Anniversary! Anti-Spam Basic Training Hot Topic Artistic Well Connected Insomniac 
Send a message via AIM to Jayzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbudman View Post
Have you deleted the background layer?
Also, when you save do "Save for web and devices" and save it as png-24 so that it keeps it's transparent properties.
YAY! GOT IT!!! I LOVE IT! Ur the man!

Jayzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
JBackpack

Awards Showcase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzee1027 View Post
YAY! GOT IT!!! I LOVE IT! Ur the man!
Looks good bro.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #11

Member No.: 43900
Thanks Received: 0

poisonedblack is on a distinguished road
I know its been a while since this was posted but I'm looking to do this for the font for my tickets for a jack and jill but can't get it to work because the photoshop images are down (ie, the instructions). Does anybody still have the instructions?
poisonedblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Mobster

Member No.: 6677
Thanks Received: 290

Al Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud ofAl Capone has much to be proud of
Awards Showcase
Post It! Dedicated Member 2 Year Anniversary Happy Anniversary! Good Citizen Anti-Spam Stuck! Streamer Well Connected Donator Law Enforcer Artistic 
Total Awards: 14
Send a message via AIM to Al Capone
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonedblack View Post
I know its been a while since this was posted but I'm looking to do this for the font for my tickets for a jack and jill but can't get it to work because the photoshop images are down (ie, the instructions). Does anybody still have the instructions?
We still have some gfx people around. I'm sure they can help you out.
@Waffle @Snow @Jbudman @Paradox